ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:17 PM

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Its really nice to know there are kind and caring people.
Anyway I have searched all though this site and have a couple of questions.
1. Has anyone been told prior to ADR surgery, that due to their DDD there may not be room for Prodisc and fusion could be a possibility
2. This is for women only, has anyone had ADR surgery though a previous incision i.e. C-Section?

I know i will have many more questions, as my surgery is scheduled for mid sept.
Thanks in advance for your time.
Dee
PT, Chiro, Acupunture, traction
discogram 07-08 positive
ADR surgery to be done
09-08
L5-S1
Old 07-28-2008, 04:41 AM

Hi Dee,
I didn't have a previous incision with mine, but I would imagine it would depend on the exact location that would be required to reach the disk level. I was told with mine that they would be taking some xrays or doing some kind of imaging in order for my doctor to properly line up the incision site. When I was comparing my incision location to that of a coworker who had a C-Section with her son, she noted that her C-Section incision was actually a bit lower than my ADR incision. If it's close enough to an old incision they may try to minimize scarring and use it, but I couldn't say for sure.

Hopefully someone here will have a closer experience with it or know someone who has some experience with that type of situation.

- Did mild PT, some chiropractics and self regulated pain management since initial sports injury in Spring 1997.
- XRay and Bone Scan Jan/Feb 2007
- PT March to May 2007
- MRI Jan 2008
- Disco positive at L5/S1 Feb 2008
- ADR surgery at L5/S1 on June 23rd 2008 - Prodisc
- Recovery - so far so good!

Old 07-28-2008, 11:16 AM

Hi Dee!

The Prodisc ?? I asked at my consultation something similar. I wanted to know how they could avoid hyperextending my spine with the insertion of the Prodisc. The answer was that they had different sizes to address those very issues. Now I would guess if the disc space is too small it may create some issues. Good ?? to ask the surgeon performing the procedure. Like how far can they open the space without causing complications to the integrity of surrounding tissues.

The second ?? with regard to incision site that is two-fold for the Approach Surgeon (Vascular Surgeon). I did not notice where they are considering which disc to replace in your post. My ex-wife had a C-sect and the incision was horizontal about 3 inches above the pubic bone centrally along a vertical line drawn from her navel to her privates. My
neighbor had L5/S1 replacement and his incision was horizontal about 3 above the pubic bone but displaced 2 to 3 laterally from the vertical line drawn from the navel to the privates. I had my incision 1 inch below my navel and favoring my left side of center by about 3 inches for a 4 inch horizontal incision.

Sorry so wordy I hope it makes some sense. Harrison might have to edit it for me and fix any axis errors.

Paul
Discogram 10FEB08
ADR Prodisc L 10JUN08
Discogram 08APR09 for gnawing 3+ pain when sitting results negative
Facet injection L4/5 upcoming 03JUN09 Cancelled because pain is subsiding
Follow up on 01JUL09 with Dr. D
Old 07-28-2008, 01:59 PM

My scar is vertical, 5-6 inches long for a 2 level lumbar ADR, left of the belly button by about an inch and it is so they can move major organs aside to get to your spinal column. I can't answer to the previous C-Sectioning though I am sure this is a quick answer from the surgeon. Best of luck to you.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 07-30-2008, 10:06 AM

Dear Cirobi:

I noticed you were "doing fine" at 4 weeks post op. Congratulations!!

I am 5 wks post op, following a 2 level ADR and single level fusion, and my pain remains identical to the original pain that brought me to surgery. I'd appreciate hearing about how your post-op experience went, and what your pain was like.

I'm feeling as though this familiar pain is never going to leave me. The operative pain (approach was done abdominally) is gone, and all I'm left with is the same original and familiar pain I started out with: pain in both hips and upper thigh, such that weight bearing for any length of time becomes impossible due to pain.

I know everyone is different, and my defects and surgery was different than yours. But anything you or anyone else might have to share regarding post-operative pain, which is exactly like pre-operative pain, at this point in time would be welcomed.

I'm feeling depressed (of course) even though I knew the road to recovery wouldn't be a quick one. The fact that my pain is EXACTLY like the original pain is what is troubling me, as each day goes by and I'm feeling no change.

Many thanks!!

Kind regards,
Mambo

56 y/o female
2002 Microdiscectomy (Unrelenting pain following this surgery.)
6/2008: 2-level ProDiscs @ L3/4, L4/5, and fusion @ L5/S1. Dr. Bertagnoli, Germany.
Pain post-op remains the same as it was pre-op . . . DISCOURAGED . . .
Consults: Multiple US MD's consulted "3-level fusion indicated" yet none willing to operate or consider ADR options;
6/08: 2-level ProDisc L3/L4, L4/5 + spinal fusion L5/S1. Dr. Bertagnoli, Germany.
Summary: As of 2010, pain unchanged Analgesics of minimal benefit.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Dee, welcome! Let's catch up again soon!?

Mambo, when you feel like it, pls post in the post-op forum. I want to ask you questions and add comments but don't want to hijack Dee's topic.

Thank you both.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate