ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 04-17-2005, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Friends,

For those of you that know me, you know that I care about this community. I�ve worked hard to create this web site(s), but have to work increasingly harder to manage the relations within it.

First, the easy things. Many folks here do not have working emails. I may enforce this issue. At least 40 members do not have working emails, let alone emails that are checked regularly. Take a few minutes to update your profile with a correct email address. If you do not know how, read the FAQs here:
http://adrsupport.org/private-cgi-bi...q#agree_review

The user agreement, which includes the community rules, is also found there. And that�s a nice segue�

Then there�s the issue of �being nice.� That is to say, not everyone likes what everyone else has to say, and things seem to get rough at times � both on the board and perhaps behind the scenes. Just so you know, I cannot read private emails or messages (some people think I have supernatural powers. I wish I did. I would probably buy more lottery tickets.)

I put great care into composing the 18 rules of the user agreement. See http://adrsupport.org/private-cgi-bi...b=agree_review

As I look back over the past 6 months and assess the development of the community, I think I�ve been lax in the enforcement of these rules. Specifically, we should be mindful of these:

4. Please treat others as you would expect them to treat you. Personal attacks or any type of "flaming" of other community members will not be tolerated. Refrain from personal attacks and abusive language - use constructive criticism (e.g. criticize the logic, ethics, or interpretation), not destructive criticism (e.g. personally attack an individual, their writing style, post member�s private emails without permission, etc.)

10. Do not falsely impersonate any other person in the forum. Do not misrepresent the source of anything you say or post.

12. While you may provide supplemental information about your own business that might be of interest to other members (without spamming them), you should not use the Discussion Forum as a vehicle to promote your business.

15. You are responsible for any actions you may take based on information or advice you receive while online. Please use your own good judgment when evaluating information provided through the ADRSupport discussion forum or any other communication services. The decision to share information or conduct transactions with anyone is your own - please conduct your own research before making any decisions.

16. Please keep your posts relevant to the ideas expressed in the Forum when sharing personal experiences.

17. Refrain from �doctor bashing.� If reporting on a positive or negative experience with any medical professional, maintain a constructive posting and stick to the facts. Remember, the goal is to help the community -- not to destroy people�s reputations.

18. Conflict of interest. If you are employed in a business that relates to the member community (e.g. Medtronic, Depuy, Synthes, etc.), do not hide or obfuscate your identity to post or collect information to your employer�s advantage. We welcome participation from spine device companies, but ask for disclosure in fairness to all.

Going forward, I may opt to assume the personality of a third world dictator to enforce these rules. As well, I will start deleting irrelevant, offensive or inappropriate posts. Knowing how sensitive some people are to this issue, I am thinking of creating another forum called �The Garbage Can� or �The Circular File� for these unworthy posts.

Folks, I would prefer to spend this time responding to new members� posts, but this is all part of the administrator fun I signed up for when I started this site last September.

Remember all the things that bring us together: chronic pain, need for understanding and knowledge, support, health, friendship � and caring.

Thanks for understanding.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 04-17-2005, 10:19 AM

Well said, Harrison,
You're a good writer!
Old 04-18-2005, 09:14 AM

I like the "New Circular file" - - -lol
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 04-18-2005, 10:03 AM
Banned

Harrison,
This is a wonderful forum ~ hopefully we can keep it that way by adhering to the rules of conduct/behavior set forth.
I too like the idea of a circular file or garbage can..
IMHO it is possible to disagree with someone or have a different opinion and word/state it well enough that the message is understood tho the content is still polite and within the constraints of the desired forum behavior.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:10 AM

I can't begin to express how much I appreciate the time and energy you put into having this forum available for us. "Thank you" just doesn't seem adequate!

You're fortunate to have had some ADR "experts" from the beginning who are very helpful to the rest of us, as I'm sure they have been to you in maintaining the integrity of the site.

Congratulations and thank you to each of you who contribute your experience and knowledge in an effort to help others.

Betsy
Old 04-20-2005, 07:11 PM

I agree, I have had enough of the last personal attack on me and frankly if it was face to face, it would not have happend...it is so easy to cower behind a computer, what can I say I love physical confrontation.

Laura
Andro1111
Old 04-21-2005, 11:15 PM

Laura....you kill me!!!!
Old 04-22-2005, 01:14 AM

Death Wish, 2005.
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:41 PM
Administrator

'Glad the circular file is still empty.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 04-23-2005, 12:22 AM
Banned

Gosh Rich,

I was tempted to go on a message board rampage right before the circular file was born--good thing I didn't, eh?

Justin