ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:14 PM

I don't know who "you" is, but I am assuming it is my post that is being questioned.

So I quote a caption out of the article that ZorroSF left a link for:

In a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine*, the popular dietary supplement combination of glucosamine plus chondroitin sulfate did not provide significant relief from osteoarthritis pain among all participants. However, a smaller subgroup of study participants with moderate-to-severe pain showed significant relief with the combined supplements. This research was funded by the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM) and the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (NIAMS), components of the National Institutes of Health (NIH). Researchers led by rheumatologist Daniel O. Clegg, M.D., of the University of Utah, School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, conducted the 4-year study known as the Glucosamine/chondroitin Arthritis Intervention Trial (GAIT) at 16 sites across the United States.

One article is not going to quell my good medical director friend's years of research that proved Glucosamine did provide significant relief. Even the article cited here states that it did provide significant relief for some in the study. Dr. Wakulat researched this stuff for years and his word to me is still gospel.

Besides, what's the harm in trying something that may be effective given a chance? Beats some of the other drugs we get addicted to.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 07-17-2008, 09:23 AM

I know 2 people personally who have been taking it for years and it has been a "wonder" drug for both of them. My husband was told over 10 years ago that he needed a complete knee replacement and a 2nd opinion doc told him to try the 1500mg. Glucosamine and 1200mg. Chondroiton combination and he has been going for 10 years with that same bad knee. It only gives him severe problems if he runs out of the G/C combo for a few days and it is a reminder to go buy some and get right back on it. My step mother also had severe crippling arthritis and could hardly get around and she started taking it and has her life back now. So obviously it does work for some so IMHO it is definitely worth a try! You need to be on it for a good month or two to see some improvement which most people are not willing to do because it is a little pricey but if you watch sales you can really find good deals on it. I don't really care that some study says there is no proof it works, I have seen how it changed two people's life.

10-02 - ProDiscs L4/5 and L5/S1 - FDA study - disks placed incorrectly which
caused problem at L3/4 and L2/3
01-05 - ProDiscs at C5/6 and C6/7 in Germany - seems to be working fine so far
Bedbound from 09-06 until 10-08 due to severe pain and weakness
09-08 - Had Fibrin sealant done at L3/4 and L2/3 After 6 weeks - much success!
Hoping and praying that the lumbar revision surgery that was scheduled with Dr. Regan
can be indefinitely postponed
Old 07-18-2008, 02:06 PM

I take 2 doses daily - starting about a month ago. I some folks who have done very well with it. I take it to help fortify and as a preventative measure and I figure it cannot hurt.

For that matter and some of you may think I am crazy - I also take chinese herbs for my neck that I get from my acupuncturist - I researched all of the ingredients - and they are OK - so I take that too in the hopes of helping any degeneration in the neck. At 42 - with my degenerative spot at c5-c6 - I want to save and help my body from the years of not being so good to it with bad body mechanics, etc. so I pray I only have one bad disk to contend with...

Lisa
Aug 2007 - diagnosed with DDD at C5-6 - herniated disk with mild stenosis at right/central of cord - but pain/occasional numbness mostly on the left side - and down into the leg/foot - which has puzzled doctors - even had a lumbar puncture - but thankfully all clear!
May 2008- after many months of no symptoms and issues- flare up- and new MRI shows moderate stenosis.
L4-5 small annular tear with some DD
Big fan of massages and acupuncture to help with muscle tightness/pain.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:39 AM

If any of you are allergic to shellfish/iodine like me, you should avoid anything made out of shellfish. (I take a vegetarian-based MSM/glucosamine).
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:15 PM

I started on celebrex two months ago for my shoulder and it might also be helping my back. I guess I could try the msm, glucosamine, and chondrotin also. I asked my doctor about it and he rolled his eyes. Another thing he doesn't believe in. I guess everyone has a different opinion. I got large jars of it through Andrew Lessman vitamins on HSN.com.
physical therapy/pain med no success
Refuse Fusion
Bone scan shows L5-S1 pars defect will hold ADR @ L4-5
7/31/07 pro-disc L4-5 Dr. Robert Watkins Jr. Marina Spine Institute-Mari
Old 08-01-2008, 12:44 AM

Try about 1 gram, 1000 mg, of glucosamine per day with doses spread around the day. If you're lucky, it will have an immediate anti-inflammatory effect. As you say you have it already, you're not investing much in trying it and it might help. I don't know anything about Andrew Lessman but you might find you have a slight benefit from what you have. At that point, you're in the position of deciding whether or not to pursue the best quality supplements when you run out of what you have, thinking better quality might have more effect or deciding that the minor benefits aren't worth the extra cost.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 08-02-2008, 08:05 AM

I just found vegetarian chondroitin online. I don't know the veracity of this but I found this intersting:

http://www.smartbomb.com/cl1702.html
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:34 PM

I just thought I would pass this along for those of you that have upcoming surgery. I just got my paperwork last night from Dr. Regan's office and it said if I was taking Glucosamine/Chondroiton/MSM 3 weeks prior to surgery. I just thought I would pass that along because I do take it but didn't tell them I was taking it. They sent a whole list of different things prescription and non-prescription that need to be discontinued at least 3 weeks prior to surgery. I was never told about these with my other surgeries. It is always best to give a list of medications and supplements way ahead of time, but I am sure most of you know this.

10-02 - ProDiscs L4/5 and L5/S1 - FDA study - disks placed incorrectly which
caused problem at L3/4 and L2/3
01-05 - ProDiscs at C5/6 and C6/7 in Germany - seems to be working fine so far
Bedbound from 09-06 until 10-08 due to severe pain and weakness
09-08 - Had Fibrin sealant done at L3/4 and L2/3 After 6 weeks - much success!
Hoping and praying that the lumbar revision surgery that was scheduled with Dr. Regan
can be indefinitely postponed
Old 08-12-2008, 07:18 AM

My doctor recommended Glucosamine/Chondroiton several years ago...

but just recently said I shouldn't bother with it anymore, as research was not providing good evidence that it works, and that it was money wasted. I was happy at the news, because I never noticed any benefit from it and was glad to save the bucks.

To be clear (and fair), he might have meant that it didn't work for people with my particular problems. Looking back, I simply don't know if he was speaking in general or only in the context of my situation, which is:

severe congenital stenosis in 3 levels (moderate in 2 more, and recent ADR surgery just decompressed one of the severe levels)
degenerative disk disease
meralgia paresthetica
peripheral neuropathy
compressed ulnar nerve, both arms

(I do not have osteoporosis)
Congenital Stenosis (throughout spine)
Peripheral Neuropathy
Meralgia Paresthetica
Compressed Ulnar Nerves, both arms