ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:31 AM

Does anyone know if stairs are ok after ALIF? I don't go in for another week to ask my surgeon some of these questions. I have all bedrooms either upstairs or downstairs. Am wondering if I need to set up a temporary bed in my living or dining room, in case stairs are contra-indicated. My surgery is two weeks from today.
vertibroplasty @ above levels, 9/15/01
4/06 hip labral tear repair
4/07 Lumbar ProDisc replacement by Dr. B., 3 levels; L3-6
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
7/30/08 Removed bone cement.
8/7/08 Diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion.
3/10/09 right SI Joint Fusion; seeing light at end of tunnel, for first time in 8 years!!
Old 06-18-2008, 07:59 PM

hi cindylou,

i had an L5/S1 alif and i had to do stairs before i was allowed home (day 5 or 6 i think). ive never had a problem with stairs since and to walk anywhere outside i have to walk up about 15 stairs which i did from day 1 at home. however ive never had problems with leg strength,

good luck with your upcoming surgery,

rachel
L4/5, L5/S1 disc prolapses post wakeboarding accident Oct 06 (grade 5 and grade 4 annular disruption, repectively). 2X epidural steroid injections, lots of drugs and conservative treatment, positive discogram. Surgery May 08 (L4/5 A-Mav disc replacement and L5/S1 ALIF)
Old 06-18-2008, 09:31 PM

Thank-you Rachel. Very good news. How many days were you in the hospital total? I think my doctor said typically 4-5 days. Nothing is ever typical tho. I was in the hospital in Bogen Germany for 10 days, for my 3 adr's. Discharged 1 day, and then back in to be opened completely back up to clean up an infection. Also had to have 2 blood transfusions. I am praying for an easier go of it this time. The post surgery pain levels scare the s___ out of me. Anyway, please keep me in your prayers as surgery approaches. I really want/need for this to go smoothly.
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
8/7/08 Diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion.
3/10/09 right SI Joint Fusion; seeing light at end of tunnel, for first time in 8 years!!
Old 06-19-2008, 04:21 AM

CindyLou
Same advice as per Rachel. The physical therapist "tested" me up and down a flight of stairs on about day 4/5. Couldn't go home till it was accomplished but there were no problems.
This last surgery I discharged late on day 5 which is about average. Last time I had a bleed and was kept in 9 days.
I see you had a low blood count last time and had transfusions that you think caused the infection. My surgeon wouldn't transfuse me,saying that it would right itself with diet and supplements over time. His opinion is that transfusions create "other" problems. I wonder if that's what happened to you? Just a thought.
Soon you'll join the "second surgery club", not a membership we want to have is it?
I hope and pray that it's the last for you.
Cathy
Maverick L4/5 Fusion L3/4
July 3 2006

Dynesys Stabilisation L4/5
Lt & Rt Facet Removal +Non-Bone Fusion L5/S1
May 26 2008
Old 06-19-2008, 05:39 AM

CindyLou:

I hope everything goes smoothly for you and no complications this time. I am also hopeful that this will be the last for you and that you can get back on the bicycle and feel the wind going through your helmet. Take good care of yourself and at least you aren't traveling half way around the world for this surgery.

God be with you.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 06-19-2008, 06:41 AM

Thank-you Cathy and Terry. I'm just glad I should be able to make it up the stairs to sleep when I get home. Yes, Cathy, I have wondered if the transfusions caused the infection. I did politely decline them, but the female doctor in Bertagnoli's practice, her name is escaping me at the moment, said it was absolutely necessary....blood platlets were heart-attack low. In that case, I said, start an IV on every limb. Thank-you for the well wishes and prayers. Terry, I have only ridden an old-fashioned 3 speed with a wicker basket on the handle bars this spring. Mostly just up at the cabin, on the country roads. Not exactly on par with your 1,000 miles! But certainly better than a boot in the butt. Good going for you my man! Ride strong.
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
Old 06-19-2008, 10:33 PM

hi cindylou,

my hospital stay was 7 days, i prob could have gone home at 6 but was quite happy as the staff were fantastic,

just remember when you are walking up the stairs to keep you body upright and drive through your butt / hip, try not to lean forward...

good luck
L4/5, L5/S1 disc prolapses post wakeboarding accident Oct 06 (grade 5 and grade 4 annular disruption, repectively). 2X epidural steroid injections, lots of drugs and conservative treatment, positive discogram. Surgery May 08 (L4/5 A-Mav disc replacement and L5/S1 ALIF)