ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:34 AM

Default Hello From Brisbane

Hi,
Here's my story (sorry for the length!)
I'm a 44 year old male with a history of episodic lower back pain (probably for 20 years or so)
I suppose my back would go out around every 5 years or so initially. It would take 3 days or so of rest and physio and then I'd be ok. About 5 years ago my back started to go out more regularly, probably every year.

In 2006, it went out 4 times! I had an MRI scan and discovered that I had a herniated disc at LS/S1 with a bone spur that was severely impingeing on my sciatic nerve. I went through all the conservative treatments, physio, epidural nerve block and eventually it was recommended that I have a PLIF by a surgeon here in Brisbane.

At this stage, I decided to look at alternatives. I found an excellent surgeon in Melbourne who disagreed with the Brisbane surgeon's options and suggested that a fusion would put too much stress on my adjacent L4 & L3 discs that also showed minor bulges. He suggested a partial discectomy/laminectomy, removing the bone spur and inserting a DIAM spacer implant at L5/S1 to raise the disc height and reduce some of the pressure on the disc. I had constant lower back pain (around 7/10 pain wise) and electric shock pain shooting down my left leg constantly (8-9/10 pain) I was wearing a lumber brace for support most of the time and needed Valium for muscle spasms and Panadiene Forte for pain.

I had the op last April and had a realistic view of what the outcome would be. I was told that there was no guarantee that the back pain would decrease but the leg pain should get heaps better. The op went well, the surgeon and hospital was fantastic and I walked the same day, albeit a few metres to the toilet.

I then embarked on a rehab program mostly involving hydrotherapy and walking. The pain in the leg had decreased but was still there. I had lost around 12kg throughout the year (pain is the greatest diet!!) and had muscle wastage from under-use of my legs.

Gradually I rebuilt my strength through Hydro over 3 months and I managed to go back to work part-time for around 12 hours a week. Sitting was a big problem for me, back and leg pain prevented me from sitting for more than around 30-45 mins but it was suggested that I get up and walk around regularly so I kept my sitting to a minimum anyway.
Last November, my pain started getting significantly worse and I contacted my surgeon who suggested another MRI. This showed that there was some scar tissue around the surgery site that had grown significant enough to hit the nerve again. I had another epidural nerve block (which did nothing) and was put on Lyrica for the pain. It was suggested that I try and walk as much as possible to see how I go on the Lyrica. My surgeon said that it was pretty normal for scar tissue to be a problem but I questioned the level of pain? He said that I try the lyrica and if things got persistantly worse then maybe a fusion was on the cards (but definitely a last resort)

It was at this stage that I found this site and began to grab as much info as I could. To me, if it was eventually gonna be a choice between fusion or ADR, I would go for ADR. I filled in the free questionaire at the AlphaKlinik site and much to my surprise Dr Zeegers phoned me from Germany that evening !!! He said that an ADR was a possibility but he would need to see the MRI's. He also said that scar tissue was in his opinion, " a non-diagnosis" This made me think that there may be an alternative, eventhough I hadn't been told I needed a fusion yet I was thinking ahead as I know how long things take!!

Anyway, following my surgeons instructions, my wife bought me a pedometer and I was averaging 2000 steps a day. The Lyrica initially helped but I had to keep upping the dose (started on 75mg a day, now on 300 mg a day)
A couple of weeks ago I noticed that it was becoming even more painful to walk and I was resting a lot more. Last week, I had major stabbing pains in my back like hot needles (every 15 mins or so for a day) The doc prescribed Valium which stopped the pain. So at the moment I'm on Lyrica, Panadiene Forte and Valium.

I have an appt to discuss my options in 2 weeks in Melbourne. Right now it feels like the plane trip would be too much but I'll wait and see. I have heard that Dr Matthew Scott-Young is a great ADR surgeon and is closer to me as he on the Gold Coast and I have filled in his questionaire also and will contact him after the Melbourne appointment.

This site seems like a great place, if like me you don't know much info on ADR and need to know more. I have no idea if I am a candidate but according to Dr Zeegers it seems I may be?

Anyway, if I can be of any help to anyone who is reading this please don't hesitate to contact me on this forum. I have had to stop and start recovery many times and know how demoralising it can be. Please hang in there.
There is always hope
Herniation - L3-4, L4-5

- 20 year history of mild to chronic back pain
- Sciatica/Leg pain - 2006/7
- Decompression, Discectomy, Posterior DIAM - Apr 2007
- Return to part-time work - Aug 2007
- Symptoms returned Nov 2007
- Discogram positive at L5/S1, L3-4, L4-5 July 2008
- Hybrid Surgery - 27th October 2008, 2 ADR's at L3-4, L4-5, ALIF at L5/S1
Old 03-16-2008, 06:07 AM

Welcome to our forum. I was on 400 Mg of Lyrica towards the last part of my taking it. I have been off of it since last June. I hope things work out for you. There is a lot of knowledge here.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 03-16-2008, 03:12 PM

Thanks Terry.
How are you doing?
Herniation - L3-4, L4-5

Old 03-16-2008, 03:34 PM

Hey Geezer:

Damn! I'm a 51 year old male and if you consider yourself a geezer at 44 I must be a fossil .

I still have pain in my lumbar area and also have developed some pain in the neck in the past three weeks. I think it is from shoveling snow.

I am functioning better than pre-surgery and do not know if I am totally healed up now or not. I am 1 year 4 months post op. It was major surgery so I am grateful for whatever I have.

I am highly athletic and bicycled 2,234 miles last season. I hope to do the same or greater this year. I am a walking miracle. Injections seem to work when the pain gets real bad. I have not had to have any since October and December so that is a sign of improvement in my book.

That's the long and short of it.

Hang in there.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
Bicycle Accident 2004
Old 03-16-2008, 03:43 PM

Hi Terry,
Good on ya.
I use "Geezer" because although I now live in Australia, I support West Ham who are an East London soccer team. Geezer is an affectionate sorta cockney name over there.
Glad you're doing well!
Herniation - L3-4, L4-5

Old 03-18-2008, 02:18 AM

Hi Geezer, it's Cathy from the Gold Coast. I had a fusion and disc replacement with Matthew Scott Young 18 months ago.
I urge you to get an appointment with him if you can. He has a really long waiting last, up to 9 months now. He is one of thetop spinal surgeons in Aus though and we're lucky to have him on our doorstep.
As you can tell, I'm a big fan but I have very complicated spinal isssues and I see him regularly still for treatment.
Good luck and take care.
Cathy
Maverick L4/5 Fusion L3/4
July 3 2006

Dynesys Stabilisation L4/5
Lt & Rt Facet Removal +Non-Bone Fusion L5/S1
May 26 2008
Old 03-18-2008, 03:45 AM

Hi Cathy,
Yep, I've heard that Matthew Scott-Young is great.
I contacted his office a couple of weeks ago and the next appt was August but the receptionist did say that he decides on a needs basis so if he thinks you need seeing quicker, he'll fit you in. As I said in my "hello" I travel to Melbourne next Monday to see my original surgeon, who is also excellent and has a great reputation (Paul D'Urso)
I want to see what he has to say first before I consult MS-Y. This is what Dr Zeegers advised also, he actually said (in his wonderful accent)"You don't need 2 captains of your ship right now!"
Thanks for your reply, right now I'm worried about the trip cos of the sitting but the Valium seems to keep the spasms in check (fingers crossed)
Hope you keep well and thanks for making me feel welcome
Herniation - L3-4, L4-5

Old 05-29-2008, 05:11 PM

Here's a bit of an update of my situation.
I had the appt in Melbourne and was given 2 alternatives, 1.Live with it (which on Lyrica, Valium and Panadiene Forte, I can't!) or a Fusion.
Matthew Scott-Young got back to me and deemed me "urgent" so after a 6 week wait, I see him on Weds June 4th(next week). He ordered an EMG/NCS test for my nerve and muscle fuction in the meantime. About 2 weeks ago I had a bad reaction to Acupuncture. In some ways it worked in that it relaxed me but it stirred up a hornets nest in my back and leg and resulted in me going back on Valium (which I had recently stopped with bad withdrawl symptoms)
I figure that with MS-Young seemingly being pro-ADR that if he says I need a fusion then fusion it is.
To be honest, I'm past caring now cos the pain is so bad.
I'll let you know the outcome of my consult with MS-Young.
Hang in there everybody
Herniation - L3-4, L4-5

Old 05-29-2008, 05:19 PM

I am so sorry for you. It is an important step to take when the pain robs you of the desires for living to get the surgery done. Please keep us informed of the situation. My neck pain stopped from my previous post so I overdid the snow shoveling which was extreme this year. We had 147" of snow this Winter.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
Bicycle Accident 2004
Old 05-31-2008, 12:03 AM

Sound like you're pretty fed up and didn't get much help in Melbourne. Good luck on your appt with M S-Y next week.How did your EMG go?
A few things I can tell you about M S-Y...
He's not pro ADR so to speak but does have over 10 years experience doing and perfecting them .He also is not tied to any disc and uses several types.
He won't perform any unneccessary surgery, I've seen patients leave his rooms pretty cheesed off when he's said surgery won't help them.
If he deems you not suitable for ADR he's got plenty of alternatives up his sleeve including fusions and stabilisation so don't despair.
Lastly, he makes his final decision as to what he does once you're in surgery and assessed visually. So good luck!
Maverick L4/5 Fusion L3/4
July 3 2006

Dynesys Stabilisation L4/5
Lt & Rt Facet Removal +Non-Bone Fusion L5/S1
May 26 2008