ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:32 AM

I think this may just be my last post before I go in! This has all been so quick but I'm so glad that I've found this site as it's really helped. (Still not too sure if my prose is on the expected target...but perhaps my experience can re-assure somone else that all this is normal, and that a successfull and speedy recovery can follow ).

Your experiences, words and tips have help me feel like I'm not the only one dealing with this, that I'm not the only one going slightly bonkers and that I can get through this (with my sense of humour intact ) THANK YOU ALL

My emotions are still swinging wildly... Excitment at what could be, exhaustion at my preparation, I've even been queezy watching CSI this week! And the occasional wee tear, for fear (what might go wrong), for frustration (I don't want to be helpless for any length of time!!), but mostly for the kindness and support I've felt from family, friends, colleagues, and until a week or so ago, complete strangers. I'll make it up to everyone!

I met Mr Stirling again yesterday, who could not see anything in my cervical spine on xray, he still needs to look at the MRI (may still be nothing to be done up there). Mr Stirling went through the whole procedure again and again has impressed and reassured me with his confidence knowledge and empathy (It's such a shame that I'm so surprised when I meet a medical/caring professional with the empathy!).

Although I'm all ready for Fri, the hospital and my surgeon are having a debate as to my admision time as Mr Stirling wants more time for the procedure so it may not happen on Fri at all, (until I'm told different, that's where my heads at and that's when it's happening)! I think all the insurance is there and if it's not quite covering (I respect my surgeons reasons for not signing the price plans) the additional costs should be within reach.

I have my last day at work tomorrow and the day of my interview. It's been soooo busy getting everything ready but great to spread my worry I may just keep breathing throughout the interview process!!

Toodle pip for now dear fellows! Good luck to all of you requiring it and best wishes for all!

Jen x
Old 05-16-2007, 01:43 PM

Good Luck and post when you can.

Many will be there for you when you post again.

We will laugh with you when we can, cry for you when we can't, and yell at you when you need it.

We will also tell you what normal is since you won't have a clue.

Ask the surgical team how much sleep they had the night before your surgery. Always get's em laughing.

Go with God.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 05-16-2007, 01:47 PM

Hi Jen,

I think making the decision to have any back sugery and all the decisions along the way can't help but make one at least a little bit bonkers! (And, of course, some of us have a head start in that ........ . I do think being able to share anxiety around different areas is helpful in the sanity stakes and wish you lots of luck for tomorrow's interview and metaphorically clearing your desk - just remember there's always something that's left to do however hard you work!

It's good to hear that you have confidence in your surgeon which I think is really important. My surgery is now being delayed and so I'll be looking forward to hearing how yours has gone when you're through and on the other side of it.

Lots of good wishes to you for the surgery and your recovery. Do remember to focus your attention on you and your needs leading up to the surgery and, particulaly, afterwards for your recovery.

Go girrrrrrrrrrrrrl!

rosedee
‘87 Sclerosant (prolotherapy) injections
2000 Spinal fusion – L4/5 L5/S1 – left wi
Old 05-16-2007, 02:00 PM

whooooooooops!
Just re-read my message and seem to have made a number of interesting typos/slips........the best one calling surgery sugery (if only it could be as sweet!)
Old 05-17-2007, 11:57 AM

Hi rosedee

It's wierd, the decision to have the surgery was simple! I've been waiting for an answer for so long after banging my head against a brick wall. It just seems too simple at times, like I'm in some way pretending it's not going to get worse before it gets better! (I'll be taking some rest before the next date for sure as I've a little time to breath).

I guess you could be telling me all about it before I'm telling you. Where are you having your procedure? Who's doing it?

Jen

p.s. I got the job!
p.p.s I guess the bucket might be the place for bonkers!
Old 05-17-2007, 12:11 PM

Best of wishes for a great surgery & even better recovery!

Some how I missed it. Are you having your surgery in Birmingham?

Please keep us posted on your Post op.

Jane
20 years of back problems, no known specific cause
5/9/07 at Consultation Texas Back Institute, Dr. Zigler
7/5/07 Insurance struggles
7/19/07 Prodisk surgery, TBI, Dr Zigler
Old 05-17-2007, 02:38 PM

Hi Jen,

Congratulations on getting the job - that's great.

I'm a bit confused by your post - has your surgery been delayed? Or am I missing your point and its still set for tomorrow.

My surgeon is Mr John Sutcliffe from the London Spine Clinic.

All the best,
rosedee
Old 05-18-2007, 03:28 AM

Thanks

The surgery should have been in the Priory Hospital, Birmingham (UK) and has been delayed beacause they hadn't allowed enough time for the procedure. It should be re-scheduled within a month (I hope... things seem to be hurting more)

My Stirling is going to perform the L5/S1 fusion using a graft from my pelvis to space and perhaps put in place of the disk. No ADR in sight I'm afraid.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:27 AM

Jen,
One day before your surgery they determine they have not allowed enough time for it???? And now you are looking at waiting possibly another month??? I would be livid! You have more patience than me for sure. God Bless you for that. Do you start your new job, or delay that? How long off work will your recovery be? Keep us posted when it is re-scheduled, and very best with your new job!
vertibroplasty @ above levels, 9/15/01
4/06 hip labral tear repair
4/07 Lumbar ProDisc replacement by Dr. B., 3 levels; L3-6
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
7/30/08 Removed bone cement.
8/7/08 Diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion.
3/10/09 right SI Joint Fusion; seeing light at end of tunnel, for first time in 8 years!!
Old 05-18-2007, 07:43 PM

Hi Jen,
Thanks for clarifing your surgery location. We have a Birmingham in Alabama, about 100 miles from where we live.

It is so hard to believe they didn't realize how long the surgery would take before they put you on the schedule. You are being patient.

I hope your pain eases off.

Jane
20 years of back problems, no known specific cause
5/9/07 at Consultation Texas Back Institute, Dr. Zigler
7/5/07 Insurance struggles
7/19/07 Prodisk surgery, TBI, Dr Zigler