ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 02-03-2006, 09:29 PM

Tina-My heart goes out to you. My kids are grown and gone, I can't imagine having to deal with what you are going through with little ones to take care of and love.

I had a 3 level fusion (S-1 to L3) on Oct 18. Recovery has been hell, as I expected, but I can honestly say that I'm better now than I was prior to the surgery. I had stenosis, spondyliosis, DDD, so many things wrong. I have Abbott Instrumentation, which includes rods and screws. I chose to use bone from my own hip, and we did not use BMP (a protein which helps with bone growth). I have an 8 inch incision down the middle of my back.

I will never softsoap this to anyone. Back surgery like I have had is awful. I have an excellent support system (family, friends and work), and without them I don't know what I would have done. On the other hand, my life before the surgery was on a downhill spiral, and now I feel that I'm going up again.

Paulette has the best advice. Get lots of opinions, find out what you're getting into. Learn the words so you know what the doctor is talking about. Take someone with you to all of your appointments to help you interpret. Fusion isn't for everyone, anymore than ADR is for everyone. we're all different, and our backs are all different, too.

I am looking forward to a summer of gardening and riding our motorcycle, something I haven't been able to do in 2 years. I wish the same for you.

And, if you want to talk fusion, I'm available.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:16 PM
Banned

Hi Tina

I'm about 4 months post-op from a 3 level adr. My recovery is slower than I'd like but I was prepared for this possibility.

My advise is asking questions is to be quite specific. Doctors don't always tell you the whole truth. They tell you what you want to hear, which is too often, not the whole story. This forum prepared me for a variety of possiblities that no doctor did.

Be thorough and as advised often, do your homework.

I'm sorry for your pain and wish you all every luck, Dale Steuer
Old 11-16-2008, 10:21 AM

Am so sorry to hear of your problems. I had an L4/5/6 laminectomy to free up the trapped nerves in 2001. I was out of bed the same day and after 3 months of being mostly wheelchair bound and unable to go to the toilet, the result was instant. Of course there is som post-op pain, but nothing like the pre-op. Sadly it only lasted for a few years and I had fusion after. Again, the result for me was very good. Drawback with fusion is the increased wear and tear on the adjacent levels. Good luck
1999 L3/4/5 Laminectomy
2001 MRI C3/4/5 nerve compression
2002 Nerve block injections
2004 Nerve block injections
2005 CT scan and nerve block injections
2006 Cord compression at C5
2006 C5 Copectomy, fusion cage and plate
2007 C5 Formamentomy
2008 L4/5/6/S1 CT Myelograms
21/11/2008 L5 fusion L4 & L3 ADR
26/07/2009 C4/5 Fusion and plate
12/03/2010 C5 Nerve Block