ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:52 AM

My TBI appointment went well yesterday. I was very impressed with the facility. The waiting area was top notch with reclining chairs and plasma TV. I didn't have to wait for more than 5 minutes before I was seen. The staff was the most friendly that I have ever seen!

Dr. Zigler was very nice and said I was a "trooper" for putting up with my pain for so long. He said that my only option is to have a two level L4/L5, L5/S1 ADR operation.

Now, I just have to convince Aetna to pay for that second disc. Now that's a pain in the a$$!
L4/L5, L5/S1 herniated and bulging, Discogram confirmed
Three spinal nerve blocks, One SI joint nerve block, 8 wks of PT, pain/anti-inflammatory meds
L4/5, L5/S1 ProDisc ADR with Dr. Zigler at Texas
Old 02-14-2007, 07:05 AM

I saw the Holiday Inn Express & Suites behind TBI and thought that would be the perfect place to stay. David - did you stay in a suite? It looks like each room has a microwave and refrigerator and they have free breakfast.

I had lunch at the burger joint across Parker Road from TBI and thought that would be a great place to have lunch or dinner after the surgery, since they serve you fast (won't have to sit for long). The burgers were great and they had a toppings bar. I also saw a deli next door. I, of course, saw the Plano Tavern and thought that would be a good place to have a beer on a non-med day before the surgery (since it will be awhile before I'll be able to have one again). Now, I just have to find a place that has good Tex-Mex (especially chili).

I also saw the nature reserve which is very close to TBI. I thought that would be a great place to walk since the trails are short and paved. It looked hilly though, so I would have to play it by ear.

If anybody else has suggestions for before or after the surgery, please let me know.

Thanks all.
Paula
Three spinal nerve blocks, One SI joint nerve block, 8 wks of PT, pain/anti-inflammatory meds
Old 02-14-2007, 07:29 AM

Terry -

I used to be a huge road bike rider when my husband and I lived up North, where they have road shoulders. Down in the South, road biking is a death sentence since the cars frequently hit bikers.

Before my back started getting bad, I was mountain biking. I can't wait to get back to that.

One of the things that I found with bad backs is that you can't exercise, so it is very easy to pack on the stomach weight which puts more pressure on the back. I've tried yoga and pilates and that helps.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:17 AM

Paula

I sure would hate to give up road bicycling. After my surgery I am chomping at the bits to get back on my road bike. I have a Waterford which is basically a Schwinn Paramount as Richard Schwinn builds them. He went off on his own when the Schwinn Family lost the company. That one is $3200. The one that the dog ran in to causing my 4 level ADR surgery is a Colnago C-40 carbon fibre 16 Lb. racing bike all Campy equipped and $6200. Thank God the accident did not do much damage to the bicycle but it sure munched me.

I've tried mountain biking but it beats the hell out of my spine. I love to go fast too so I am dangerous on a mountain bike and I am now older (and hopefully wiser ).

I've been snowshoeing and doing pool therapy 3 x per week and spinning. Need to get the endorphines going as that is the best pain medication imaginable.

Like I said before you are too young to have a fusion and it's great that you are an ADR Candidate. I have no regrets so far and you are going to a place with a stellar reputation.

Get North Carolina to get some paved bike paths. We are getting more and more of them in Michigan and I don't worry about the cars as much.

Good-Luck Paula. You'll be back on the mountain bike before you know it. By the time the season starts for you guys in North Carolina you should be on track with your recovery.

Take Care.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 03-01-2007, 08:15 AM

I just got the call from TBI that Aetna approved my two level ADR !!!!!

I am so happy!!!

I have the surgery scheduled for April 12th but I may move it to April 5th to take advantage of the Easter holiday.

Aetna - I'm glad I met ya!!!!
Old 03-01-2007, 08:23 AM

Congrats Paula, I know the feeling of knowing that you are on the road to recovery. Isnt that ironic, looking forward to surgery. I am scheduled with Zigler next thursday the 8th for my two level. I will make sure and update as much as I can. Do you live close to TBI? I had to go down last week and I had six pre-op appointments. Long day but very imformative.
Two level Prodisc TBI Scheduled in March 2007
"THE FDA IS NOT GOD"
Old 03-01-2007, 09:15 AM

Yeah, I feel like I finally can see the light at the end of this bleak tunnel that I have been in for the last several years.

I'm in North Carolina, so I couldn't do that many appointments in one day.

JoAnn said that I could do those appointments a couple of days before the surgery, so I'll arrive earlier that week. That will allow me to get settled and explore the area.

I would be very interested in hearing about your surgery. What levels are you having done?
Old 03-01-2007, 09:33 AM

Congratulations Paula.

Blue Cross just paid for my 4 level ADR after originally denying it. I did not even appeal the denial. The hospital just submitted the bill, Blue Cross reviewed my medical history and paid for the procedure.

I sure hope you get the relief you deserve. Hang in there.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 03-01-2007, 02:22 PM

I was also supposed to go a couple of days early but that god changed on me. I live in Oklahoma and Plano is about a three hour drive for me.
I am having two levels at l4-l5 and l5/S1. I am 32 years old and have been dealing with this BS for the past five years.
Two level Prodisc TBI Scheduled in March 2007
"THE FDA IS NOT GOD"
Old 03-06-2007, 07:09 AM

This surgery can't come soon enough...

I was on my feet for eight hours on Saturday and didn't take my pain meds in the afternoon and evening so that I could have a couple of beers with friends.

Well, I'm paying for it now... My left leg hurts so bad that I have to drag it to walk. My left foot feels numb and my entire hip and butt region is in extreme pain.

I am taking Tramadol and it helps a little bit but not nearly enough. I may have to kick it up a notch and take the Oxycodone.

At least this makes my decision to have surgery that much easier.