ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 10-26-2005, 11:26 PM

I have noticed that it seems that there is quite a variation in what people are told to do by their doctor's post surgery. I notice that many from the alphaklinik start PT almost immediately while others are just given a brace and told just walk for the first 6 weeks. I know everyone's situation is radically different but I see a trend based on the doctor I think more than the amount of levels done and other factors.

Has anyone else noticed this? I was curious if people would weigh in here with the following info: 1. who did the surgery, 2. What was done
3. Any pre-op other conditions/factors, 4. what post-op activities were recommended by doctor, 5. what post-op devices were given to the patient.

For instance, in my case:

I had surgery with Dr. Bitan. Fusion at L5-S1, ADR Charite L3-L4 and L4-L5. No other pre-op conditions. I was recommended to walk only, 30 minutes a day broken down any way that was comfortable for me for the first 6 weeks. (will revisit after my 6 week xray) I was not given a brace or corset, just a spinepak to stimulate the fusion.

I am just curious to see what the trend is here as to whether it just seems to be the doctor or something else. It seems to me the doctor's each just have their own ideas of what is appropriate.

I am definitely not recommending jumping to what someone else's doctor says. I just find it interesting how different the instructions seem to be for people who seem to have the same situation just different docs.

Feeling great!
Old 10-27-2005, 02:40 AM

Here is my story: Charite L5/SI with Dr. Mark Howard, no other complicating factors, the first 3 weeks post-op consisted of walking as much as I could tolerate followed by walking in water weeks 3-6 and PT after 6 weeks, I went home with a brace, walker, and hospital bed.
http://www.myspace.com/luvmysibe
http://www.xanga.com/luvmysibe
"A smile is contagious, be a carrier ."
Old 10-27-2005, 05:07 AM

Hi Juli,
I was at the Alphaklinik, I was given a corset immediately after surgery and told to wear it for at least six weeks. When I was there, the gymnasium was closed for building work but most people that have been to Alphaklinik do get into the gymnasium with the physiotherapists. I think that's more for exercises to do rather than hands-on physiotherapy -- -- -- no doubt someone who's been to the Alphaklinik and got into the gym will tell us more.

I was also told to have no physio therapy for at least six weeks, to make gentle progressive progress as I advise everybody to do starting with walking.

Interesting nobody has mentioned this for a long time, but also to have antibiotic blanket treatment prior to having dental surgery. I was told to do that the rest of my life to prevent infection getting into the implant. I had x-rays at six weeks, and every 12 months I submit anterior/posterior, and lateral x-rays and send them to the Alphaklinik for checking.
best,
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 10-27-2005, 01:15 PM

My surgeon was Dr. Ken Pettine, Loveland, CO. I had a Kineflex ADR at L5-S1, participating in the Kineflex/Charite study. I went home with a brace and instructions to wear it when ambulating for six weeks, as it would help prevent a hernia. I was told to walk a lot, do no sit-ups or bending to the floor or flexing of my back, and gradually begin working out in other ways as I could tolerate it. Because I am in the study, I'll be followed with x-rays and check-ups until it has been two years since the last "guinea pig" patient in this study has had surgery.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Juli,

This issue is one that I have always found to be serious, frustrating and confusing. Many months ago, I emailed the APTA about it, and received a polite reply. However, the discussion around it all is more interesting to me....see the topic here.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 10-27-2005, 07:59 PM

Juli,

I too have found it quite interesting the different philosophies re: post-op activities. Here is my story:

L5-S1 Dr Delamarter (study patent). Corset brace immediately after surgery 6-8 weeks no bending, twisting or lifting 6-8 weeks. Walking only. No stretching but I did anyways out of need and what I learned from this forum.

Given a script to PT at 6-weeks by local Nero, Dr D requesting me to take things very easy and slowly. In my opinion he is very conservative post operatively and I am lucky to be in PT so soon. Dr D has agreed to PT 4X/week 2-clinic and 2-swim. (doing great!)

BLW- I had to take 2000mg of Amoxicilan to get my teeth cleaned today.
T-12 Compression Fracture 10/04
C-7 Spines Process Fracture 5/99
http://prodisc2.blogspot.com/
You are my Rock God in you I can do anything