ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 06-02-2005, 10:27 AM
Banned

Spoke w/Nurse Case Manager yesterday and she said it's too early to get a new BMD since I just started Actonel 3 months ago and last BMD was last summer. Said at the 6 mo. mark should possibly be more representative of any change tho really at 2 year mark. Hopefully I won't have changed for the neg by then.
Also, re Discogram, if I'm to get this, should do it right before surgery this time~
So, I'm going to send my profile to *** and hopefully get a few more opinions/options w/diagnostics that I have on hand before I subject myself to another discogram ~ would like to have this by whomever will be doing my surgery(or delegate thereof) and right before I do it this time.. when my mind is made up to "just do it"!
Old 06-02-2005, 11:48 AM

Mariaa,

I like this mado for you � Just Do It�, (Maybe you can be on a Nike commercial some day). Don�t get me wrong, do the research get all the opinions and get fixed! How many discogram have you had and why would they need to do it again if it has already shown there is a problem? Is this one of those many discs that has not been gramed?

I got my BMD yesterday. �0.8 and at 41 and still menstruating, I am on the border but considered OK. Will be taking lost of calcium. Why can�t they scan you to see if the meds are working? Can you go to a different place and have it done. I went to my gynecologist to do it. You would think they would what to know if things are improving do you have to wait 6 months to see improvement. What if it does not improve and you should have been on something else? Do you have to wait another 6 months? It just seems so insensitive of them to put you off so long. It�s such an easy test come on whose side are they on?
T-12 Compression Fracture 10/04
C-7 Spines Process Fracture 5/99
http://prodisc2.blogspot.com/
You are my Rock God in you I can do anything
Old 06-02-2005, 12:47 PM
Banned

Paulette,
I've had 2 discograms. First one concordant for pain at L3 and L4. L5S1 not done due to surgeon saying he knew it was bad and had to go.

2nd discogram done and L3 not concordant for pain, L4 and L5 were.

Have an annular tear at L3 so want to make sure that the disc is either OK or not before surgery...

Re DEXA testing... have Medicare coverage for medical and the test is recommended every two years so I can have it done per PCP in another year... re WC after 3 months more of Actonel or whenever I decide which surgeon will do the surgery for certain...
Old 06-02-2005, 08:31 PM

Sorry to hear that things have been put on hold. The intervals for these DEXA scans seem too far apart for the patient to get any positive feedback on their progress. Unfortunately, it's all about cost and the insurance companies don't want to pay just to see minute progress since it takes a long time to increase bone density. I got a DEXA scan at 6 months of being on Forteo and the insurance company approved it - now they say they didn't. I'm filing appeal this week for reversal of the decision. I agree with you to wait for another discogram closer to the surgery time to get the most updated films.
11/2000 IDET L 3/4, L4/5
1/2000 Discogram
numerous epidural injections
physical therapy
Old 06-04-2005, 09:31 PM

Good luck w/this Maria.

(Meandering to take some calium/vit. D and planning another scan).

Btw, I hear that there are several bone density scans. Is any one more preferable than another?

Best, Allan
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:50 AM

ANS,
About the scans -- I was told to have the scans done on the same machines (same facility) in order to be able to compare the results and determine increase in bone density.
11/2000 IDET L 3/4, L4/5
1/2000 Discogram
numerous epidural injections
physical therapy
Old 06-05-2005, 10:07 PM

Thank you Spotty; this makes great sense. Best... - Allan
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:24 AM
Banned

Spotty,
Hmmm, same machine would be ideal tho not always practical as people relocate as well as facilities doing this testing. To have this done at the facility I last tested, I will have to travel 120 miles..
I think that the machines utilized in a major hospital setting would have to be checked on a very regular basis to ensure that they are working well enough and not producing significantly off results. A measure of quality control must be run on these machines regularly, system of checks and errors...