ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:55 PM

Hi guys,
I'm very, very discouraged. I met with the hip doctor this afternoon. My husband came along for support and advocacy. This is the doc who repaired the labral tear 18 months ago, and that I am still having problems with. (very tight, restricted range of motion, achy/throbbing pain in groin and panty line, resulting in a slight limp, and of course, now affecting my back) I have never felt like this doc was on my team. He did the surgery, I should be "fixed." I'm still in pain, I must "be nuts." Bottom line, that's how I felt. So, was it any surprise that I found myself on the defensive, as he questioned me about my pain and restrictions. Actually, the P.A., whom I have never met before, did the initial round. The doctor came in after the x-ray was ordered and reviewed it. He said the x-ray looked fine, no arthritis, not sure why I'm in all this pain. Eventually, he wore me down and I just blasted him. I told him I didn't appreciate his attitude; I've never felt like he was on my side; If I'm in all this pain in my hip, then what is it? I've never had pain in either of my hips before this labral tear. Now, my hip is not the same. He gave me back his jibberish of how he is on my team, and I told him well that's not how I feel, so he's not doing a good job of showing me that. I finally asked him, after he repaired the labral tear, he also put two sutures about the iliofemoral ligament, as I had a significantly patulous capsule, and is it just possible he sutured too tight, and that's why I'm in pain and lacking range of motion, and he said yes that's possible. So....I have an MRI Wednesday to look at the soft tissue, and we both agreed someone else should look at the films as well, since I seem to be a difficult case. I'm just so frustrated when we can't get to the bottom of something. It's nobody elses body but mine. How can it be so f______ difficult to diagnose a painful hip and fix it?! Honestly, I'm at my wits end. I really am. Does anyone have any other suggestions? My massage therapist said it feels very thick, right where the surgery was, like alot of scar tissue has laid itself down there. He's been trying to break it up with massage. Possibly it's restricting my range of motion. I don't know. All I do know is I'd like to be active again, and not be this person who I'm not. Sorry, I'm just ranting because I'm so sick of hurting.
vertibroplasty @ above levels, 9/15/01
4/06 hip labral tear repair
4/07 Lumbar ProDisc replacement by Dr. B., 3 levels; L3-6
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
7/30/08 Removed bone cement.
8/7/08 Diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion.
3/10/09 right SI Joint Fusion; seeing light at end of tunnel, for first time in 8 years!!
Old 10-01-2007, 05:50 PM
Administrator

CindyLou, can we talk on Thursday or Friday? Let me know what works...email or call.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 10-01-2007, 06:15 PM

The moderator of this board asked me to join because I have had both my hips replaced. I may be able to help people based on my experience with that.

It doesn't sound like you will have to go through what I went through. Osteoarthritis is something that has pretty obvious indications on an XRay.

My experience is that it is pretty easy to make fairly incidental things that are not quite right in hip surgery that can lead to pain. These especially occur in the area of the Illiopsoas / femoral ligament because that muscle pulls the lumbar vertebra into the body if it is too tight and can lead to back pain.

Surgeons err on the side of stability too.

I don't know your surgeon, I wasn't there but my own personal belief is that I'd rather have an awesome mechanic with crummy bedside manner than the other way around. You were right to yell at him and push though.

I expect that once they have this sorted out, your problem can be corrected with PT. That ligament, if it is too tight can be stretched with the right exercise. I think there are some fairly low invasive ways to free it if it is caught by scar tissue or something like that.

Hang in. Keep pushing on your medical team and I think you will be OK.

An online resource that I like is totaljoints.info. You are not headed in that direction but the guy who runs it is a retired orthopedic surgeon. Don't be put off by his bad english, its not his first language. He knows what he is talking about and he will answer your emails and questions. His passion is the truth.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:25 PM

CindyLou:

Sounds like Geoff's been there and has some good advice. Way to go for being assertive. Too many doctors act arrogant and don't listen to their patients. You're the consumer and deserving of some relief.

Hang in there.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 10-02-2007, 11:54 AM

Thank-you Geoff for sounding in. I hope my massage therapist can stretch the ligament to give me the much needed relief like you think. Frankly, I'm not too optimistic, but I do hope you are right. The MRI just got bumped till thursday, so I won't likely know anything till next week.
Harrison, can I call you thursday afternoon, after MRI, say 1:30 ish?
Terry, I've always felt like this hip doc has had attitude. He's only been practicing for maybe 6-7 years. He's a baby. Anyway, I will always demand respect from a doctor. Like you said, I am the consumer.
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
8/7/08 Diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion.
3/10/09 right SI Joint Fusion; seeing light at end of tunnel, for first time in 8 years!!
Old 10-02-2007, 11:54 AM

Hi CindyLou

I just wanted to chime in that I share your frustrations. I don't post much anymore as I had my ADR surgery in 2003 and have since recovered. However, I am now finding myself struggling with hip issues and wondering how much of it may be residual pain from my pack surgery. I also had labral tears in both hips and in 2006 and then again in 2007 I had bi-lateral arthoscopic hip surgery for femeroacetabular impingment and labral tears. I am currently recovering from that, but still having problems. I have bi-lateral burning foot pain that does not seem to be lessening. My hip docs says that is not a typical pain pattern for hip pathology.Hip doc thinks it is the back. My back docs says my back is fine. My
foot doc (yes, I have foot issues too), also thinks it is my back. I am going back to my back doc this week to see what he thinks. However, I already know from past experience that his attitude is that he did the surgery, it was a success, he has no idea what the pain is about. Within 10 minutes he will have his hand on the doorknob and turn his back and walk out while I am still talking. I would go to another back doc, but he is the top ADR surgeon in my area, if I went to someone else without ADR experience, they would not know wha to do with me. There are top ADR docs I could go do if I am willing to fly to them (which I am) but they dont take my insurance. So the saga continues and I am getting tired of it all. Half the person I used to be. So, CindyLou, you are not alone. I would be happy to share the name of my hip doc if you like. He is one of the top hip arthoscopy docs in the nation. People come from all over to see him. I wish you luck and sucess.

Laurel
Old 10-02-2007, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Geoff, excellent insights. I hope you can visit us more often and share your years of learnings from the world of hip arthroplasty – there is so much we can learn from this field. I hope you consider an “ambassadorship” here!

Terry, you are right as usual. And infinitely supportive of many folks here…who have expressed their thanks to you both publicly and privately to me. : )

CindyLou, that time for a call sounds fine. I look forward to it.

Laurel, thanks for chiming in with a comment and update. Have you posted in the post-op outcome? I have some questions for you about your symptoms and progression through recovery.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 10-03-2007, 08:47 AM

Hi Harrison

Yes, I did post quite a while back in the post-op outcomes. I haven't looked for it, but I assume it is there. Would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Laurel
Old 10-03-2007, 06:25 PM

Laurel, thank-you too for offering perspective. I hope you get some answers as well. One thing my massage therapist came upon today that he can't believe he overlooked, is my psoas muscle possibly contributing to my problem as well, and sure enough, it is. He worked on that, and I felt taller and was standing straighter when I left. My low back wasn't hurting as much when I left as well. He gave me some stretches for it to work on at home, as well as an exercise to strengthen it. MRI is tomorrow morning, so I should learn if scar tissue is playing a role in hip restriction, by early next week. Meanwhile, I keep on stretching.
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1