ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:20 PM

Default How to sneeze?

All,

In short I have degenerative discs from S1 - L3. I've been knocked out twice in less than a month with a sneeze. One while laying on my back, the other while sitting.

I found some good info on how to brace while standing for a sneeze, but what to do while laying down? I don't know how much more sitting I'll be doing, but any tips for sneezing in that position will be appreciated.

I'm walking around in terror of a sniffle.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Holding a pillow, in fetal position? I heard about this technique, but I have no idea if it is helpful or legit!

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 08-30-2010, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Hi James, welcome to the ADR site !

I too have had my lower back knocked out by a sneeze.. it's a humbling experience to say the least..

What I've found that works while laying down is what Harrison suggested.. laying in a fetal position with your knees pulled up really helps take the stress off the lower back a LOT...

Best of Luck with everything !!
Severe Vitamin D Deficiency
Spinal Fusion C5-C6, C6-C7 - May 2007
Multiple epidurals, L 3/4/5 & S1
L 3,4,5 & S1 herniated/bulging disks-under control for now.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:43 PM

Thanks guys. I'd heard that elsewhere and frankly didn't believe it. Seems counter intuitive for some reason.

On standing, I've heard that you should -

1. Brace your back against the wall and lean into it with your knees bent

or

2. Put your arm behind your back for support then try to bend your knees as the sneeze occurs.

Today someone at work, also with lower back issues, said he leans over a bit like a shortstop waiting for the pitch and puts his hands on his knees. Sort of a squatting position with his legs out to the sides a bit. Anyone ever tried that?

- Off to the doc in the morning. Steroid shot(s) likely, then scheduling the physical therapy.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

I would think anything with bent knees that takes the stress off the lower back would work .. as long as it is comfortable for you ..
Unfortunately it's sort of trial by error for each individual.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toebin View Post
I would think anything with bent knees that takes the stress off the lower back would work .. as long as it is comfortable for you ..
Unfortunately it's sort of trial by error for each individual.
Saw my doc on Tues. His rec was that bracing against a wall is best with your back flat against the wall, palms flat on the wall. This is, he conceded, largely impractical as you likely won't have time to get into this position.

On laying down, knees and legs bent as if your sitting, lay on your side is the best bet. He said pulling knees all the way up to your chest can be bad as you are focusing energy to your lower back and restricting your chest and diaphragm in the front which directs the force backwards towards your spine.

The most encouraging info was that it is best to sneeze with your mouth open in order to release more of the sneeze through your throat. This cuts the impact by 2/3 or so according to tests he said have been run on cadavers. (Not an episode of mythbusters I would care to watch).

I tend to do this anyway (not the last two times) so I'm hoping I can reflexively do so when I sneeze again.

Oh and sitting, best bet is to try and lift up with your hands from the seat or the armrests when the sneeze occurs to get the pressure off the base of the spine. Sitting apparently adds twice your body weight to the base of your spine in normal conditions (weird) and the sneeze could generate up to 250lbs of additional force. This means a sitting sneeze could deliver over 500lbs of force in one shot when sitting (worst case).

Bit bummed today as my sinuses feel a bit raw and I'm obsessing a little about (not) sneezing. It's a beautiful Sat, just gorgeous, but I'm to paranoid to go out and about to enjoy.

Tried to set-up my physical therapy appt. with the provider I was reffered to just to find out they are not in network for BCBS HMO. Need to find another provider.

I was also given a vitamin regime to adhere to which I've started. Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium rich foods as well as a multi-vitamin for antioxidants.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Hey James,

All good info about the sneezing and thanks for that !

Good Luck on finding a PT within your HMO... I'm sure they have many skilled providers, it's just a matter of finding who is covered!

And excellent news that someone is paying attention to your nutritional needs... those are so vital and yet so often ignored. It's encouraging to hear that providers are finally paying attention to this area of "health"...