ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:46 AM

Default Newbie from the UK

Hi,

I used to be and extremely active person who was told to sit tight just over 5 weeks ago.

To say I was floored when told about the lower back was an understatement. Although I've had back ache for a long, long (20 years) time I wasn't expecting to be shown a scan where my L4, L5 disc was basically missing, almost completely worn away.

I'm ex-Auxiliary Air Force where I had served with the RAF Regiment as well as Intelligence.

I say ex as I've now been down graded medically and will finish in Nov.

My hobbies were - gym (now banned), Ju Jitsu (I instructed - now banned), running (now banned) cycling (go gentle said the surgeon) and swimming (too uncomfortable due to prolapse C5, C6)

So my lifestyle is now completely destroyed......to say I'm gutted is an understatement.

I've been having epidural injections in the neck for two years but they've done nothing.

Living on a diet of Tramadol, Amitrypteline, Paracetamol, Naproxen and wine (I know, I know but hey I've lost almost everything).

Start backpain clinic on Wed and I'm gonna ask about artificial disc replacement......

Chink of light at the end of a long dark tunnel...........

Grum
Old 07-22-2013, 02:57 PM

Don't give up hope. You are among those who walk (or crawl) your same walk. I am in the new stage as well - just joined about a month ago and have used this forum for a wealth of information to prepare myself for an upcoming surgery in which I was never aware of until a month ago. I have severe herniation at level C4/5 and DDD and herniation (of whatever is left of my disc) at C6/7. In between was a fusion from 2006.

What is your physician telling you? What is his prognosis and course of treatment? Mine....well the only thing the US doctors wanted to do was fusion. I am an extremely active person and would have to literally give up my lifestyle. I stumbled upon ADR (Artificial Disc Replacement) and my life just became renewed. Those on this forum have so much knowledge and personal experience that can help guide you toward better decision making.

My advice right now is to be proactive for yourself and channel toward positive thinking. Gather copies of your MRI, CT Scans, X-Rays, Diagnostic reports, and anything recent (within 6 months) that you can get your hands on. As you read some of the surgical outcomes and patient blogs, you will note several surgeons names frequently mentioned. Do some research and get acquainted with them. As soon as I become confused, I put out a question, and get immediate attention and sage advice. This forum has been very cathartic in maintaining my anxiety level and feeling like I will have a bright new future once again.

I have been in pain for the past 5 years and by the end of September, I will travel from Chicago to Germany for multi-level ADR - and I will have my life back. I'm already tuning and waxing my skis
C4/5 central and rightward bulging of disc and osteophyte causing mild right neural foramen stenosis narrowing and right lateral recess narrowing
C6/7 Central disc bulging and osteophyte and hypertrophy of ligamentum flavum canal stenosis and narrowing of bilateral neural foramina
Sept 9, 2013 Scheduled with Dr. Bierstedt C4/5 & C6/7 M6
Old 07-26-2013, 01:30 AM

Hi,

Laura has some great info in her post!
Old 07-27-2013, 08:58 AM

Went to the back pain clinic at the local hospital. I got the feeling it was a live within your means but we're not going to do anything.
I had a long and frank talk with them and told them I will not be rail raided in to accepting and want to investigate everything from far to stem cell.
To my great and amazed surprise they said ok we'll make an appointment for you to see a Professor Walsh - has anyone heard of him?
Old 07-27-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grum7630 View Post
Went to the back pain clinic at the local hospital. I got the feeling it was a live within your means but we're not going to do anything.
I had a long and frank talk with them and told them I will not be rail raided in to accepting and want to investigate everything from far to stem cell.
To my great and amazed surprise they said ok we'll make an appointment for you to see a Professor Walsh - has anyone heard of him?
yeah i spoke with him not a bad doc mate, its worth a try